Thursday, July 31, 2008

And the dust cleared...

Wow, 750pts is simply great. Very dynamic and interesting, plus the game never lasts long, leaving time to play another game, or obsess over how great Charlie's Angels is.

Anyways, we digress. I got my first outing with my newfound army. First go with them was up against Toshi's Hordes of Chaos, a very scary prospect since he had three Lvl 2 Wizards of various Lores (whilst I conveniently left my Butcher at home *mutters about dorks who always come unprepared*), especially as he had some nasty direct damage spells whilst I had 2 DD to counter it.

The game went rather well, despite the fact that I lost the first turn. After some of my Gnoblars got their souls sucked into the Warp, the Gorger showed up Turn 2, whilst the Ogres ran forwards full pelt. Eventually, the Gnoblars held up a unit of Marauders allowing the Bulls to flank charge, crushing the centre and getting close to two of the wizards. With the Gorger on one flank, and the Ironguts on the other, I was able to execute a pincer movement.

To be fair, a lot of things went my way, like the one time he got Pit of Shades off, he was out by an inch, and the gnoblars having a higher US than the Bulls allowing them both to overrun towards the Wizards, and then there were a lot of 6s when rallying.

Learning Points:
*Ogres are FAST. I knew they were quick, but I'd never seen it firsthand. Turn 3 charges allowed for very little magic to be cast off.
*Gorgers are awesome. 75pts for an Unbreakable killing machine is simply amazing.
*Those Warhounds were a huge problem, marchblocking my fast units early on. I found myself wishing I ran my Leadbelchers.
*If I plan to ever face Toshi again, I'm going to run a Butcher with 2 Scrolls *takes note*
*The flexibility afforded by Ironfists is worth all the points you pay.

Next report up soon.

No comments: